Thursday, March 11, 2010

It's been a while

So I haven't posted in a couple of months - but not because of a lack of things to write about :-)

I know this is really lame, and sort of a slack job, but once again, I present you with two months in rapid review:

In January we celebrated Sydney's 4th birthday. She had so much fun at Katie's birthday party that she decided to do the same thing, so we celebrated at Michael's. Sydney chose to decorate aprons. She loved choosing paints, stencils, and glitter to decorate her princess apron with. We invited a few of her friends and some family too (for some reason the teenage boys were not so in to decorating princess aprons).

The week after her birthday, Sydney started back to a preschool co-op. It is a cute little group of 5, and they all seem to get along well. They have been on a couple of field trips already - one to PetSmart and the other to a fire station. They all thought that was pretty cool.

The weather started to show signs of improvement for a week or so, but it was all a trick and a few days before Valentine's Day it snowed again! The kids were so excited - well, Donnie and Sydney were excited, Jaxon just wanted to hang out in his big red car.

There was actually enough snow to build snowmen this time, so we had a little family in a yard for almost two days :-)

Valentine's Day was nice. Donnie made breakfast, and gave us all gifts. Church was cancelled because of the snow, so we just stayed at home and relaxed.

The rest of February was spent battling colds, stomach flus, and overcommitted schedules.

Sydney gave her first talk in Primary on Feb. 28. She spent all week telling me that she wanted to "song to my friends about Jesus," but when the time came, she actually spoke and did a great job!

She can't read, so we didn't write anything down, but it went something like this:
"Hi, my name is Sydney. I know Heavenly Father and Jesus love me, and I love them. I know
Jesus died for us. I am thankful for Jesus. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

She was really proud of herself, and the next week she said the prayer in Primary all by herslef. She really is growing up so fast.

Last week was my birthday. Donnie made breakfast, and let me sleep in. That night we went to eat ribs with the kids and came home for birthday cupcakes and ice cream. Donnie bought season tickets to Theater of the Stars for me, and I am really excited to see Phantom especially.

On Friday, we went out to dinner with our friends at Pura Vida, and then came home for cookie cake (my most favorite birthday treat) and ice cream. It was a lot of fun, and my friends gave me a couple of good books, "These Is My Words" and "The Middle Place," chocolate, a spa bath set, and a gift certificate for a pedicure. It was the perfect birthday (and really nice since I was able to spread it out an extra day).

Today is Donnie's birthday, so it is his turn to be spoiled! Unfortunately, he is a little sick, so it will not be as nice for him as my birthday was for me :-).

A few weeks ago, Sydney and I went to buy Donnie a present. I always want to buy him the perfect present, but he is hard to buy for. He never wants anything, and so I can never get any ideas from him. Well, Sydney and I were coming home from a birthday party for her little friend, and it suddenly hit me.

There is a driving range close to our house that Donnie likes, and since the weather (hopefully) is going to brighten up soon, I thought I had the perfect present. I bought Donnie a gift card for 6 buckets of balls, and while I was there, I talked to the owner to get a few more ideas. I decided to buy Donnie a private lesson with one of the shops pros. She is actually a golfer on the LPGA, so I thought it would be cool for Donnie to take a lesson and get a few tips from her.

I was so proud of myself for coming up with a good Donnie gift. He would be so surprised when he opens his present - except that I had Sydney with me. So I spent the next 15 minutes explaining to Sydney what a surprise is, and how Daddy would be so happy if we wait and tell him on his birthday. I told her not to say a word.

As soon as we walked through the door, Sydney said, "Dad! Mom and I bought you a birthday present today. It's a surprise from that place where you hit golf balls."

Thank you Sydney. Next time, I am shopping alone.





































































February snow day


















































































Sydney's "preschool" group at the local fire station































No comments: