Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Baby brother arrives!

The long awaited event finally occurred. Baby brother decided to grace us with his presence. It’s funny though, I forgot how uncomfortable labor and delivery actually are until I was right back in the thick of it.

We spent Thursday running errands and then we met up with Deidra and Jeannette and families to hang out. We ended up going to Chuck E. Cheese’s that evening to eat and play.

Sydney loved it – until she noticed the talking Chuck E. Cheese robot. Then she started screaming and shaking. She kept asking Donnie to take her home. She finally calmed down when she saw the picture sketching machine. She liked to have her picture taken and even after we ran out of coins she continued to go back and sit by the machine.

After our little outing, Donnie went fishing with Dustin. By this point I was feeling really tired and a little uncomfortable, but Donnie really wanted to go fishing. I think it is hard for guys to understand because they have never (and will never) experienced it.

We finally returned home a little after 11 p.m. and I crashed. I had a hard time sleeping because I couldn’t get comfortable. Finally around 2:30 a.m. I woke up with a contraction. Then I had another one. After the third contraction I decided I should time them.

So I tried to find my cell phone, but I didn’t want to wake Donnie and Sydney so I was stumbling around in the dark – breathing heavily through my contractions and grabbing on to whatever I could – trying to find the diaper bag so that I could fish out my cell phone.

Finally, at about 3:30 a.m., I called the doctor, but Donnie had to talk because I could barely stand so putting together a coherent sentence was out of the question. We arrived at the hospital at 4:15 and everything moved pretty quickly from there.

At 6:30 I received an epidural, only to find out afterwards that I was already dialted to an 8 and 90 % effaced. I almost made it all the way without an epidural – but I thought I was going to die! The epidural only worked on my left side, so I feel like I kind of experienced a natural birth too :-).
































1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! You got a boy! Donnie! Congratulation!

Blog Archive