Friday, November 21, 2008

Poor little kid...

Sydney has molluscum contagiosum. Basically she as a few little tiny bumps on her face. They kind of look like small, smooth warts. The doctor said they will go away on their own, and once they go, they are gone forever. You can have them removed (liquid nitrogen), but it is pretty painful - especially for a 2 year old.

Anyway, Sydney scratched one of these little bumps one night and it started bleeding. We noticed it the next morning and we washed it with soap and water and didn't think much of it. Three days later it was extremely red and about the size of a quarter. When we touched it it was really hard.

WARNING, IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH DO NOT CONTINUE READING. JUST SCROLL TO THE PICTURES



The next morning she woke up screaming. She scratched it and blood and puss were everywhere! It was disgusting. So Donnie and I had to hold her down while I pushed all of the yucky ooze out. Blood and puss were flowing down, and her cheek was a purply-black color. We used about 10 tissues to saok it all up. IT WAS DISGUSTING!

I called the doctor and made her an appointment for that afternoon. After a really long wait and a rude doctor, we left with a bandaged child and two prescriptions.

My mom came with me to help out with Jaxon, and I am so glad she did. I had to hold Sydney down while the doctor pushed out the blood and whatnot that accumulated since that morning.

The dr said that we have to wash the area with peroxide, dry it, apply the gel (Rx) and then cover it with gauze. We have to do this for at least a week, when we have to go back for a check up. If it starts to fill up again, we have to take her to the hospital. She is also taking an oral antibiotic every six hours - which I have to force down her throat.

She is doing remarkably well. This morning she laid on my lap after her bath and held the tape while I did the rest. She even agreed to take her medicine if I would let her pick a piece of candy out of the candy bucket. She chose Donnie's sour gummy worms (sorry honey!).

The swelling is gone and her cheek is almost back to a normal color - there is just one red spot about the size of a dime. She is taking it all in stride, but has informed me that she is not going back to the doctor again - it's Jaxon's turn.






1 comment:

Catherine said...

Bless her little heart! What a terrible thing for a little girl to have to endure! The things kids get... I learned a whole new medical vocab since I had kids. They get things I never knew existed! My little Nephi had the worst baby acne I have ever seen! It was even worse then any of the pics I could find online. I actually thought he was going to be scared for life. But he got over it and now you can't even tell he ever had a problem.