Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Did I really sign up for this?

Some days I need a reminder as to why I decided to become a mother. This doesn't happen very often, but with a 2 year old, it happens. In fact, today is one of those "remind me again" days.

As I sat at the kitchen table with my sewing machine working on a tutu for Sydney's Halloween costume, I heard a scream, followed by the words I never want to hear again: "I have poop on my hands!"

I slowly pushed back from the table, and pleaded with Heavenly Father, "Please, let this be a game of pretend." I didn't need to wait for an answer to my silent prayer, because I could hear the frantic patter of Sydney's feet making their way to the bathroom.

We arrived at the door at the same time, both in a state of disgust. I shook my head in disbelief and asked Sydney why she had poop on her hands, to which she matter-of-factly replied, "I had to clean it off my doll house."

I quickly put Sydney on her stool, loaded her hands with soap, and instructed her to keep her hands in the water until I got back.

In her room, I found her panties shoved into the doll house and a pile of what should-only-go-into-a-potty-and-never-be-seen otherwise, artfully displayed across the entire roof of the doll house.

As I choked back the vomit, I cleaned the house with an entire pack of Clorox wipes. Then I took everything to the trash can outside. I returned to the bathroom and silently washed Sydney's hands. Then I opened a new tub of Clorox wipes and scrubbed the sink. I handed Sydney a new pair of underwear, and went to the kitchen to bake cookies. It was the only thing that seemed to make me not so mad.

All of her toys have been put away for the rest of the day - her books and puzzles are still accessible - and now, I am just waiting for the oven timer to beep so that the world can return to a happy place.

Like I said before, these are not things that should be seen, so I do not have any pictures to add. Plus, our camera battery died two weeks ago and I can't find the charger. I guess I will have to buy a new one (argh...).

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I can totally relate! It is horrible when it happens... but then as you sit to write it down you can't help but chuckle a little. Kids... They definatly keep ya on your toes. Are children are the only people in the world that can get away with anything and we still love them to pieces!