Saturday, October 18, 2008

Kids say the...you know the phrase

Sydney is quite the talker these days. In many ways it's great because she tells what she needs. and if something is wrong she can communicate that with us as well. The downside, however, is that she has a complete lack of inner-dialogue.When she thinks something, she says it aloud - and she doesn't speak softly.

Last night we went to Target (she also dresses herself these days and so she wore a pink tutu [over her jeans] and pink princess shoes, and refused to ride in a buggy) and she provided the color commentary the entire time.

As we walked by the Hallmark section Sydney took off down the aisle. Then she screamed, "Ahhh! This old lady's coming by me."There was a lady on the same aisle looking at cards, but she was maybe 40 (not old by any means) and she wasn't even close to Sydney.

It was enough, however, to send Sydney running and screaming.I felt badly that she called the lady old - and said it so loudly - but I was laughing so hard that I couldn't do anything about the situation.

I'm sure the lady heard because Donnie was two aisles away and he heard her. Hopefully she wasn't listening enough to understand.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I can't wait for my kids to start talking. I know they say the funniest things... and the most humiliating! But at the same time, feel blessed that she can talk! My little boy is 3 and is severly speech delayed. I would give anything to hear him yell something intelligable in the store!! Humiliating or just plain funny, it doesn't matter.

Keep up sharing those fun moments -- they are so fun to hear about.